Choosing the right puppy is essential for a long and happy life together. Dogs can live for up to 20 years so you want to make sure that your decision is the right one..
Bringing home a new puppy is very exciting. Before you do. There are a few things you need to do to prepare for his/her arrival.
I have put together a brief checklist of things you will need to think about. I would suggest printing it and ticking them off as they have been done 🙂 They are in no particular order.
- Do you have the right bedding?
- Have you chosen a place for your puppy to sleep?
- Do you have a trusted vet?
- Are your fences secure?
- Have you checked for poisonous plants in your yard?
- Have you discussed the rules for the puppy with the whole family?
- Do you have a trusted dog trainer to help with your basic obedience?
- Have you checked for sharp/ hazardous objects in your yard and around your house?
- If your puppy is going to live inside, are you going to crate train them?
- Have you got a plan for the puppy for when you are at work?
- And the biggest ones. Do you have the time and money for this addition to the family? It is at least a 10 year commitment to another life. This includes the regular and unexpected vet work that your dog may need.
- Have you chosen a good food for your puppy to be raised on?
- Do you have a selection of toys including interactive ones to prevent boredom?
- Do you have the appropriate leads, collars and bowls?